Aug 28, 2011

See the light, eyes wide open

Have you ever seen someone go blank, emotionless--driven there by some kind of pain or grief we can't even begin to wrap our heads around? They stare off with flat affect, unable to communicate and express all the things they've been dealing with. Have you ever seen a child do this? Some kind of feeling rises up in my throat what I have to see a child shut down this way-- like they cannot handle another second with their thoughts, so they're left choosing not to think at all. I know that my job is to help them learn to rebuild, but sometimes I choke back so many tears knowing a child has ever had to be there, in that dark place. The number of times I hear someone say "I couldn't do what you do" or "how do you not go home every day angry/crying/sad". These child need you there, consistently, even when it's for things they don't want to deal with. These children deserve more, deserve better, deserve change.

Life is so silly sometimes. You can feel so out of focus one moment, so lost and then you wake up one morning feeling full and understood. I know that probably bothers most people, but for me it's reassuring to know that no matter how many times night falls, the morning comes. If you don't like where you're at, keep moving through and the dawn is sure to lead you somewhere special. Got to hug my best friend this week, got to dance and smile and laugh with some special people, and watched someone special go to serve and save.

"We are fragile, we are human, we are shaped by the light we let through us. We break fast, cause we are glass"

No comments:

Post a Comment